Tuesday, November 29, 2011

3rd To Last Weekend In Spain

My oh my!  Where has the time gone?  I can't possibly have just finished my 3rd to last weekend here, right???  But, but, but, but I just got here!!!  It can't be almost time to leave already!! :'(  My calendar must be lying to me.  That has to be it. ... Right?

I wish I could say I did exciting stuff this weekend, but I didn't.  And I don't want to lie.  In fact, I've been told I'm too truthful sometimes.  Anyway... getting sidetracked.  This weekend.  I quite literally slept the majority of the weekend.  10 to 11 hours of sleep a night and then naps during the day.  It also helped (my sleeping desires) that I was sick.  Again.  With another sinus infection.  Gahhh what is going on with my body??  I know I'm prone to sinus infections, but two in one month?  That's a lot, even for me!  And it was even worse this time.  Last time I was just stuffy with a headache.  This time, my body decided to add in plugged ears.  And only one side of my nose was stuffy at a time.  That's even worse than being entirely stuffy, sometimes (until you can't breathe at all and wish your nose would give you at least one way to breathe... but the grass is always greener on the other side, right?).

I saw the doctor (after going to his office to find him since I missed him at the Fundación) on Wednesday and he confirmed what I already knew; I had a sinus infection.  He gave me three more meds (two the same as last time, one different, though I couldn't tell you what they do, except for the antibiotic).  One is a small box, one a medium box and one a large box.  My "mom" took them out of the pharmacy bag when I got home (I really am turning into a walking pharmacy... Ugh.) and lined them up on my desk.  She stepped back, looked and them and started laughing.  I looked at her like, "What are you laughing at...?"  And she answered, pointing at each of them respectively, "Primer plato, segundo plato y postre!"  ("1st course, 2nd course and dessert!")  I gave her a look (and a sigh) that said, "Gee thanks..."  and laughed, too.  Sometimes it's harder to get out of her, but she is also pretty goofy.

That night, I started taking my meds.  All three of them.  I felt better at first, but Friday night I decided it would be a good idea to go out with some friends.  Yeah, clearly my head wasn't working as well as it should have been.  I woke up Saturday morning feeling as bad, if not worse, as I had on Tuesday (prior to being officially diagnosed).  My head hurt (maybe from the (legitimately) little bit of alcohol I'd had Friday night... I was scolded when I got home.  "You shouldn't be drinking alcohol while taking antibiotics!"  Right.  Forgot about that...) and I was stuffy again.  And my left ear was plugged.  Just my left one.  That, no matter how you look at it, sucks (the having just one ear plugged part).  With both ears plugged, at least you can't tell as much.  But when you can hear perfectly out of one ear, the fact the other one is plugged is emphasized.  That's how I was all day.  Even after taking the antibiotic and decongestants.  Since it was the weekend, we were at my "grandparents'" house, so naturally, I fell asleep.  (In case I haven't said this before, they have the comfiest couch I have ever had the pleasure of sitting (or laying...) on.  It's no wonder I keep falling asleep when I'm there!)  Each time I was caught with my eyes open, someone would ask me how I was feeling.  It's so nice to know that I'm cared about.

Sunday I felt better, but I was still a little under the weather.  I took it easy and somehow managed not to fall asleep for too long.  Sunday really was rather uneventful (which was exactly what I needed!).  Monday classes started again, which was rough because I hadn't had class since last Wednesday (the day before Thanksgiving)... Random no class day for my Art History class.  So I dragged myself out of bed at 8:30am, got dressed, fell back asleep until 9:20am, had 5 minutes to throw together my backpack, put on my shoes, scarf and coat (because I'm scolded if I don't bundle up properly... I'm still scolded for not having gloves with me) and ran out the door to catch the bus.  Lit was fine, we just rehearsed our performances for Wednesday (we are putting on a performance with our "abuelos" as a end-of-semester-party type thing).  I don't see the point, but if it affects our grade, I'm in.  After class I went home and worked all afternoon on an essay that's due Wednesday.  For essay-writing-breaks I worked on study guides for my Philosophy and Art History tests.  I was actually productive!  Go me!  Monday night meant Águila Roja, so I watched that with my family, and then I fell asleep on the couch.  At 12:15 my "mom" woke me up and told me to go to bed since I was falling asleep.  So off I went.

Tuesday (today) was an interesting day.  It was my last day at the elementary school out in Polígono.  The students I don't think have quite realized it, yet...  I have realized once again why I love the 3rd grade aged kids: They are still eager to please.  But my favorite moment from today was actually during the 5th grade class.  The teacher asked me to work with one of the "trouble" kids on his homework and an additional activity (to keep him busy and not disturbing the rest of the class).  I actually don't mind doing things like that... Even with some of the harder kids.  So I went over to his desk and got down on my knees to help him.  The first thing he did (and this was sooo adorable) was go over and grab me a chair.  I couldn't help but think, "Awwww that was so nice of you!"  My opinion of him immediately started to change and only continued to improve as I worked with him.  He might struggle a little bit, but with a bit of prodding he knows more than he thinks he does.  We finished his homework and moved on to the second assignment.  They are learning the names of family members, so he was to draw his family and label each person.  While he was drawing, he told me about his family.  By the sheer number of family members he has, he has to be a gypsy.  He told me has 63 cousins and 137 family members in total.  Anyway, he told me about his family asked about mine.  I told him it's just me, my mom and dad and my younger brother.  He listened and kept drawing.  When he finished, we still had time before the end of class, so we played a mini board game he had with him.  We talked (quietly) and laughed (quietly) and I swear he let me win.  He is really a sweet kid.  I'm realizing that I think I'm finding my niche when it comes to classrooms... I don't know if I'm meant to be the sole teacher in the classroom.  I seem to work very well with the "trouble" kids one-on-one.  In Sra. Colyer's class it was Aidan (among some others).  In the 3rd grade class here, it's a boy name José.  And now this boy (I can't remember his name at the moment...) in the 5th grade class.  I like working with them.

Rather than going straight home for lunch like I normally would on a Tuesday, I had to go to the Fundación for a mandatory meeting.  The meeting was just to fill out evaluations for the overall program, our host families (if applicable... needless to say mine was a glowing review and then some!) and various classes (the ones that applied to you).  Then we got to go.  I got home a little after 3:00pm, ate lunch, and worked on my final notes for my presentation in my Service Learning class this evening.  I totally wasn't paying attention to the time and I would have missed the bus if my "mom" hadn't looked at the clock and informed me I should go get ready.  She totally saved my butt today.  The other presentations were a lot of fun to watch and listen to.  But they were all over the maximum amount of time we were given, so class lasted 30 minutes longer than it should have.  As much fun as it was to listen to everyone's presentations, I was so happy to get out of there.  All I wanted to do was get home, finish my essay and relax.  And that's exactly what I did. :)

And now, it's time for bed!  Longggg day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment