Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving in Spain

So yesterday was Thanksgiving and the first year that I've been with my family.  I didn't think it would matter so much to me that I wasn't there, but it did.  I miss all the craziness of Thanksgiving with my grandparents, uncle, aunt, cousins, parents and my brother.  Celebrating here is usually nonexistent, but the Fundación did their best to help us celebrate.

I wasn't planning on going originally, but my friend Grace convinced me I should go.  So at 8:00pm (still on Spanish time, remember) I headed over to meet up with my friends.  At 8:30pm dinner started.  We all walked into the cafeteria and saw a turkey, mashed potatoes (or the Spanish version...), green beans, gravy, stuffing (yes, they had stuffing!)... but no pumpkin pie.  The food was not nearly as good as what I'd eat normally, but considering that they cooks were making food for a holiday they don't celebrate, it was pretty good.  I sat with my friends Kami and Moriko.  We had a good time sitting and eating and laughing.

We finished eating and realized that they'd already given us everything and that there was not going to be any pumpkin pie.  So we decided to head over the bar next to the Fundación with our friend Rebecca and get sangria.  We sat at the bar for a long while just enjoying the sangria and talking about the cute guys near us.. using the fruit system that Kami and Moriko came up with while we were in London.  I still don't understand the hierarchy of their fruits.  I know the cutest fruit and the ugliest, but everything in between still doesn't make sense to me.  So Rebecca and I just sat there listening to Kami and Moriko use their fruit comparisons, shaking our heads at the ridiculousness of it all.  At 10:45pm we all headed to our bus stops to catch the bus home before they stopped running at 11:30pm.

I got home and realized that I'd missed the first 20 minutes of El Barco!  Fortunately my "dad" informed me that nothing had happened yet and I hadn't missed anything.  So I quickly changed into my pj's and joined them in the living room to watch.  It was really funny... both my "mom" and "dad" were really tired, so they kept falling asleep during the show.  My "dad" would wake up and look over at my "mom", and then poke her to wake her up and give her a hard time for falling asleep.  It was really funny (to me, at least) because it was like a game to him.  She'd wake up for a second and then within 30 seconds she was asleep again.  And he just kept poking her and poking her... I had to laugh!

After El Barco ended, we all (as you probably could have guessed) went to bed.  This was by far the strangest way to celebrate Thanksgiving, but it was still fun.  I did, however, still very much miss my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment