Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Day 1 - Madrid

After the crazy adventure at the airport, we did eventually make it to the Hotel Moderno.  We were allowed to run around the city on our own once we checked in with Jauma (our coordinator) as long as we were back by 7:30 for dinner (and a brief walking tour).  The group of girls I've fallen in with (we are all girls with Arcadia) and I walked around Madrid for a bit, got some ice cream and then sat a park and chatted for awhile.  Then we realized that we needed to be back soon, so we headed back... leaving  time to get lost, of course.

Our walking tour was very short, mostly because Jaume doesn't know Madrid very well.  But we wandered around anyway and then we ate dinner (I wish I could remember what restaurant...).  It was really good.  Jaume ordered a bunch of tapas for us which allowed us to get a sample of a bunch of different foods.  He ordered a soup for himself... filled with cow tripe.  Ewwww.  I tried everything else, but I couldn't get myself to try it.  Why can't they name cow stomach something a bit more appetizing?  But tripe?  Really?  I don't understand.

Anyhow, after dinner we were all pretty jet lagged, so everyone went back and crashed.  It was a very long day!  First the running around the airport for 5 hours, then exploring Madrid on our on for a few more hours, then a brief walking tour, then dinner, then the walk back...  Oh and the 9 hour time difference doesn't help either ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment