Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Monday, September 26th

I can't believe I'm actually going to say this... But I think I am actually liking Monday's.  I can't think of a time when I have ever said that.  I have one class at 10:05am until 11:20am and then starting this week, I go to the retirement home to talk to my "abuela" for an hour.  This is the first week we all go on our own and I was really nervous about remembering how to get there.

Our class went fairly quickly.  We spent the majority of the time going over the questions about the second act of Lazarillo de Tormes.  I must have been yawning a lot because at one point my professor came over and asked me, "Have you rested??"  She was worried about me because I was yawning and I must have looked tired or something.  I knew I was yawning a lot, but I didn't think I looked that tired...  Apparently I did.  I made sure to keep volunteering to read out loud to prove that I wasn't as tired as I looked :)

Class ended and I headed to the bus stop with two people from my class, Jordan and Tyler.  None of us where positive about how to get to the "Residencia", but between the three of us, we figured it out.  We arrived and the women that Jordan and Tyler are talking to were waiting for them outside.  They are hilarious.  We chatted with them for a few minutes when we arrived and for a few before we left.  They made Tyler turn bright red!  He denied it.  Anyhow, I found my "abuela" and we started talking.  We talked about a little of everything.  We talked about my weekend, my host family, my biological family (I feel like I need to differentiate between the two), our ex boyfriends, her husband, flamenco music, music in general, dancing, singing... The list goes on!  I told my "mom" that I would be home somewhere around 1:00pm-1:15pm, but I didn't get back until closer to 1:30pm because I lost track of time.  That's how much fun it is!  She told me just before I left that she really enjoys talking to me because a) I'm just so much fun to talk to (nahhh, she didn't say that...) and b) because I understand her almost perfectly.  I'm glad she enjoys talking to me as much as I enjoy talking to her!  I'd say I'm doing pretty well in connecting with Spaniards to far :)

At 1:15pm I realized that I needed to go.  I quickly (but politely) excused myself and went home.  My mom had lunch ready for me since she knew that I needed to be back at the Fundación at 2:50pm.  I ate quickly, checked my email for any last minute updates about my meeting at 2:50pm and caught the bus back to the Fundación.  The meeting was for people living with families only.  We sat around in small groups for the first part and talked about our families.  We were asked about things that surprised us/things we like/don't like/wish were different/etc.  After that we all headed to the plaza (Zocodover) that is near the Fundación so we could learn how to "recharge" our bus passes for October.  Recharge isn't quite the right word... We get a certain amount of rides each month (the cost was included in our tuition for the program) and towards the end of each month we need to make sure it's good to go for the upcoming month.

After our cards were good to go, so were we.  I had my stuff with me so I could just catch the bus home without having to walk all the way back, but Kami and I had promise to go talk to Elle afterwards (who was back at the Fundación).  So back we headed to figure out details for our Barcelona trip.  I think we are officially deciding on going the weekend of October 7th-9th, which is the same weekend the others are going, but we are going separately.  We've yet to book anything, but those are the tentative plans at the moment.  We were trying to figure out if we should take the bus, train or plane, but I'm pretty sure none of us could focus very well since we were exhausted.  We finally came up with something resembling a plan and Kami and I walked all the way back to the bus stop.

I got home and, to my surprise, everyone was home.  My "mom" made my sister and I dinner and then she and my "dad" left to go somewhere.  They never really say where they are going...  Anyhow, before they left, they told my "sister" to go over her spelling/grammar stuff with me as she was reviewing for a test the next day.  She wasn't terribly happy about being told to review (which I suppose is typical 12-year-old behavior... Or just any-year-old behavior!), but we did it anyway.  We were reading through one of her papers and she came across the word "hiato".  I'm not entirely sure what it means, but we got the giggles because it sounded like Italian!  Well, if you say it with the right accent.  We sat there laughing for at least five minutes.  It was really really funny for some reason.  We released lots of endorphins!  Hahaha...  When we stopped laughing, we started taking pictures with Photo Booth on my computer... which only made us laugh again!  It was a lot of fun and definitely a good bonding moment!

My "parents" got home by 10:30 so we could watch one of the TV shows I'm hooked on now, called "Aguila Roja".  We all sat and watched the new episode and then all headed to bed because it ended at 12:30am.

No comments:

Post a Comment