Thursday, September 15, 2011

Wednesday, Sept 14th

I'm quickly learning that I need to write my blog immediately after the day happens because I am having a hard time remembering what exactly I did yesterday... LOL...  During the week, my days tend to blur together.  Let me see if I can remember what happened.

I had class at 10:05am (they have the strangest times for classes here... though it isn't much odder than getting out at 2:29pm in middle school, I suppose) so I got up at 8:30am.  I got up, ate my chocolate cereal, got dressed, put on some makeup, said goodbye to my "mom" and headed to the bus stop.  My first class was my philosphy class.  Let's just say that that it's going to be a struggle at 10:00 in the morning.  The professor is definitely passionate about his topic, which makes it a bit easier, but I know next to nothing about philosophy.  Oh... and this professor likes to say "Joder" a lot.  Which here means "fuck".  (Sorry, Grandma, please excuse the bad language!)  So he'll ask a question and then be like (in Spanish), "Joderrrr... ¿Qué pregunta, no?" ("Fuckkkkk.... What a question, no?")  We hear that a lot.  I don't know what it is about that word, but people here seem to like it a lot. 

My class got out a little before 11:30am and then I headed to my next class.  I'd had this class on Monday, so I knew what to expect.  It was my literature class.  We'd gotten homework on the first day and now we were expected to give a brief explanation of what we read about our topic (in groups... one person per group was to talk.  My group was religion during the Enlightenment).  We had met the night before to figure out what to write/present about and Elle had volunteered to present.  However... when we got to class and she realized that we'd be saying a lot of the same things our professor had just told the class, she chickened out.  Guess who did it instead?  Yeah.  Me.  No practice, no time to read over what everyone wrote... I just winged it.  Fortunately I'm good at public speaking, but a little warning is always nice.  I told Elle that she owes me. :P

After class, I went home for lunch because I didn't have class again until 6 :20pm.  It didn't make sense to stay at the Fundción for 6 hours just to go to class.  So I went home and hung out with my family for a little bit.  I was working on a bit of homework, too.  I was heading back to campus a little early so I could meet up with Elle and go with her to talk to one of the staff members (José Luis) about tickets and stuff for our travel plans this weekend (I'll get to what they are in a minute... Hang in there).  I hopped on the bus at 5:00pm and I was there by 5:15pm.  Elle and I went downstairs to talk to José Luis.  He's really nice, funny and extremely helpful.  He helped us book our tickets to see the Alhambra on Saturday and gave us some pointers about booking a hostel for Granada that night.  Beyond that, he told us to avoid staying in hostels while we are in France and Italy... Apparently they aren't that great.  Yaaaaay... more research for me to do. :/ 

So after our meeting with José Luis, I headed back to class... Back to philosphy class.  I can't explain why,  but this one seemed to go by faster.  Thank goodness!  Class ended around 7:30pm and I headed back to the bus stop.  Fortunately I only had to wait a few minutes this time instead of 20.  When I got home, no one was there.  I got in the shower (because it is still ridiculously hot here... ugh) and when I got out, my "parents" were back.  My "mom" made me dinner and then out they went again.  She said something about going to lend her friend a book.  I didn't think they'd be gone that long, but they didn't get back until 12:15am.  For the most part, that didn't bother me.  I had research I needed to do for this weekend anyhow.  (Hang in there... details of our trip are still coming.)  So I booked our hostel for Saturday night, worked on some homework, watched the new episode of Parenthood on Sidereel, read a little bit and listened to music.  I must have fallen asleep at some point because my "mom" had to wake me up when they got back.  They kept making fun of me for falling asleep.  Hahaha... 

I went back to my room, intending to go to sleep, but I needed to check Facebook one more time to see if I'd heard from Elle about our trip.  I hadn't heard from her, but I did hear from Kelsey: she was finally able to Skype!  So we talked for about 15 minutes (I didn't want to be rude, talking so late... and I was exhausted) and then I headed to bed.

Ok, now what I'm sure you are all dying to know...  Our trip this weekend.  Right now the plan is to go with a group of students and staff from the Fundación to Madrid (a free ride there AND we get to go on a guided tour of the inside of the Palacio Royal!).  Around 1:30pm, we intend to peel off and go our own way (they ARE aware of this, just so you know).  From Madrid, Elle and I are going to (somehow) get to Córdoba to see the Mosque.  I'm really excited for this.  We figure it won't take too long, so we will see that on Friday also.  From Córdoba we are going to Granada to see the Alhambra.  I've been there a couple times, but Elle hasn't, so I get to go again :)  Hopefully now that I'm older, I'll appreciate it more!  Our tickets are for 7pm, which I hear we are really lucky.  My "dad" told me that it will be perfect because we miss the hottest part of the day AND we'll get the sunset.  Expect some pretty pictures!!  The plan is to stay one night in Granada and then come back here to Toledo some time on Sunday.  We are both really excited!!  I don't know about Elle, but this will be my first time navigating anywhere, really, on my own!  I can't wait!!  I just have to get through my classes....

No comments:

Post a Comment