Monday, September 12, 2011

Day Before Classes.... Uh oh!

Yesterday was a crazy crazy day, but soooo much fun.  Today was also a lot of fun, but much less tiring!  Of course, sleeping in until 12pm didn't hurt either... :D

Yes, I got up around 12pm and ate breakfast.  Getting up for me is still a little awkward because I don't know exactly what protocol is (like going to sleep).  Do I go say good morning before I eat?  Or should I eat first?  I know questions like these sound really silly, but it's always a little bit awkward learning another family's habits and routines.  In my house, I always go into my parents' room to say good morning before I eat, leave or whatever.  Something tells me that wouldn't be looked kindly upon here.

About an hour after I got up, we all headed out to go to my grandparents' house.  I knew that we'd be spending some time with them, but I keep forgetting that the big meal here is lunch (not dinner, like in the U.S.).  So we headed on over to their house to eat lunch and watch the "Formula 1".  I had no idea what it was until my dad explained it to me.  He basically told me it was similar to NASCAR, but faster and with cars that are MUCH more expensive and MUCH more fragile.  They all wanted to be there for the start of it (apparently because that's where the most crashes happen), so we sped our way there.  We had to throw out the trash on our way there, and I swear, we must have looked like a clown show or something.  It was hysterical.

The "Formula 1" started a few minutes after we got there.  We all sat in front of the TV to watch.  As with any race, it didn't last very long.  Once the excitement disappeared, people started doing their own thing.  My sister went back to the computer, my brother went to work on homework and my mom and grandma went to work on lunch.  30 minutes later and we were all sitting outside eating lunch together.  The food was DELICIOUS!!!!  There was an egg dish, chicken, shrimp... I just wanted to eat and eat and eat (which probably relieved some of the worries of my family... hahahaha!), but I had to stop at some point because I was sure I was going to explode if I ate another bite.  It was really nice to eat together, especially for someone like me that is used to family activities.  It was nice to not have to eat alone.  I got a chance to listen to the conversation between all of them.  My understanding of fast-speaking Spanish speakers is getting better!!  Some of it still sounds like mumbling to me, but I'm actually able to make out a few words now! :D

After lunch (and cleaning), I presented my gift.  For those of you who don't know what it was: it was a book filled with tons of pictures from Washington (mostly of Mt. Rainer).  It seemed like they really loved it.  And I realized it was actually a very appropriate gift because I think they've realized how much I enjoy pictures.  I told them that it was easier to show them what my home looks like rather than try to explain it.  They all agreed.  So we all sat around and looked at the pictures together.  I think they were shocked that you can see Mt. Rainier from my window at home.

We finished looking through the pictures and then my parents, grandparents and I watched Thor (in Spanish).  I hadn't seen it (I felt sick to my stomach when my friends at school went to see it), and it was definitely a good movie!  Really funny to watch in Spanish, especially when there are actors in the movie that I actually know.  You can totally tell it's not them (obviously...).  Anyway, we watched Thor and then more TV.  I swear, everyone really does watch a lot of TV here.  But know that we aren't just sitting there watching.  Most of the time we are talking as well.  So I'm definitely getting in my speaking practice!

(Ok guys, I need you to bear (bare?) with me here for a minute.  I just have to say that, sometimes when we watch TV and my parents sit next to each other, you can see how much they love each other.  It's not some big display of affection or anything, but rather the smaller things.  I can't quite explain it, but it's really cute.)

When we got back home, my mom made my sister and me dinner and then headed out with my dad to take my brother back to the bus station (he was heading back to Madrid for school).  Nothing particularly interesting happened after that.  I spent some time on Facebook, Skyped my friend Kati, read for a little bit and then went to sleep at 11:15pm.  It was still early for here, but I was exhausted and knew that I had to be up early for classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment