Monday, September 26, 2011

"Family" Day!! Yaaaaaay!!

I think Sunday's are officially my favorite day of the week.  I get to sleep in, everyone is in town (meaning my "brother") and we all head over to my "grandparents'" house for the day.  We all eat lunch together and watch movies/television and talk and laugh......  It's so much fun!  I wish every day could be like Sundays :)

Well, this time we got there around 1:00pm.  I sat in the kitchen with my "mom" and "grandma" while they worked on getting lunch ready.  I asked if I could help, but they told me not to worry about it and just sit and watch.  So sat down in a part of the kitchen that is out of the way and watched as they worked on our lunch.  It smelled DELICIOUS!  My "grandma" was making paella.  Paella is normally made with different types of seafood, something that I'm normally pretty picky about.  But I figured that, when in Spain, do as the Spaniards do.  So I kept my mouth closed about it (well, not literally, because then I wouldn't be able to get food in my mouth...) and tried some.  They put mostly clams and chicken in it, and it was as delicious as it smelled!  I don't know what they did to the clams because I normally don't like them, but in the paella they were amazing!

Ok, for this part of my story... brace yourself.  (Are you braced??)  Choosing to live by my (modified) saying "When in Spain, do as the Spaniards do"...  I had to try something that I was nervous about.  Ready for this??  ...................... *drum roll* .......................  OCTOPUS!  I know it is probably more common than I give it credit for, but it even looked like a tentacle.  With the little suction cups and everything...  Everyone was laughing at me because I sat there staring at it for awhile, trying to convince myself to put it in my mouth.  I explained that it's not that I don't want to try it, it's that I have a hard time eating things that still look like the animal.  They just laughed harder...  Again, why does everyone seem to laugh at me?? :(  Hahaha...  Anyway, I finally ended up closing my eyes and sticking it in my mouth.  I sat there chewing as everyone stared at me.  Talk about pressure... Bahahaha...  It wasn't bad!  Though the whole idea of sticking tentacles in my mouth kind of creeped me out.  But I tried it! :)  Aren't you proud of me??  I was!

Anyway, after lunch they made a dessert for me that is normally made for Christmas, but as I'm not going to be here, they decided to make it early.  It was really good!  It was basically milk, sugar, cinnamon with some crumbled bread.  It was really really good.  I would have had more than one bowl, but I was already stuffed from all of the paella I ate!  I finished my bowl and we (the women: my "mom", "grandma" and I) sat talking while the men cleared off the table.  When they were done, we all sat down (minus my "grandpa") to watch a movie.  We were going to watch the 4th Pirates movie, but only the sound worked.  So we watched a movie called "Lope" instead, which was all about the life of Lope de Vega, a Spanish poet/playwright/author.  It was more historical than we were hoping for, but it wasn't bad.  At one point the caption said that it was taking place in Madrid, but the city they were showing... was Toledo!  We all sat there thinking, "Wait a minute..."  It was really funny :)  We talked for a bit after the movie and my "grandma" asked me if I was happy with them.  I said, "More than happy!  There isn't a way to explain how happy!"  And she smiled really big and said, "As us with you!"  I wasn't terribly worried about it, but it was certainly nice to hear!

After the movie we hung around for another couple of hours.  I spent part of them watching a movie on TV and the other part I spent sitting outside by the pool with my "grandparents" and my "mom" while watching my "dad" clean the pool.  It was really kind of funny... I we sat there watching him clean.  Oh!  And the bees/flies wouldn't leave us alone.  So we must have looked ridiculous trying to swat them all away!  At one point my "dad" came over, took the fly swatter away from my "mom" and said, "I'll protect you!"  Like I mentioned before (I think), he's a lot goofier than I originally gave him credit for.  He killed the bee then went back to cleaning the pool like it was no big deal.  So funny!

We left their house around 7:30pm and they dropped me off back at home.  My "mom" came in, quickly made me dinner and then left again to go with everyone to go drop off my "brother" so he could go back to school.  I ate dinner while Skyping my best friend Kelsey and then chatted with a few others for a bit and then worked on homework.  At 10:00pm, the movie "Because I Said So" was on TV in Spanish.  I haven't seen it in English, so I was excited to watch it.  It was really cute!  I understood everything going on, too!  Everyone got home around 11:30pm, but I stayed up until 1:00am talking with my mom.  She actually had to point out to me that it was 1:00am or else I would have just kept talking.  Lol... Typical Sarah, right? :P

No comments:

Post a Comment