Friday, September 9, 2011

First Day of Classes (Or, In My Case, Class)

After the 1st day's crisis with the alarm clock, I was determined to make it work the 2nd time around.  I did better... but not entirely.  I set the time correctly, but apparently I didn't actually set it.  I just changed the time.  So with a bit of luck, I only woke up 15 minutes later than I was intending to (with enough time to eat breakfast and everything!).  So I got dressed quickly, ate a quick breakfast (the Spanish equivalent of Frosted Flakes) so my mom wouldn't worry that I'm not eating, grabbed my things (a pad of paper and my purse) and headed out the door to the bus.  I managed to get to the Fundación right on time.  I was extremely relieved!

So.  To clarify... I had the same class twice in one day.  This seemed very strange to me, until I actually sat down and the professor explained why.  It seemed crazy at first, having the same class twice in one day.  But the way she described it, our morning session will be spent out on "field trips" throughout Toledo looking at different structures and types of art while our afternoon sessions will be spent talking about what we saw that morning.  I actually like the way that will work.  We get to experience it first hand and then get an explanation about what it was.  That class is going to be tough though.  I'm excited.  (Only I would be... LOL)

After my class let out at 12:45pm, I went and spent time with my friends Elle and Kami.  We went and ate lunch in the cafeteria (by the way, the food isn't that good... like, worse than dorm food kind of bad).  Here, lunch doesn't start until 1:30pm.  So around 2pm, Kami, Elle and I went back upstairs to Elle and Laura's room and hung out until Laura and I had to head off to class again.  The 2nd half the class, we literally just watched a movie the whole time (a mini introduction to the class).  She had told us that morning that if we didn't understand the movie very well, we should considering dropping the class.  No pressure...  I definitely understood it, but they moved so quickly between topics, that I didn't have time to take notes very well.  I'd start writing about one thing, and by the time I finished, the narrator had already covered 3 more topics. :\  Oh well.  I did the best I could.

Class got out 20 minutes early, which was nice.  I went back to Elle's room for a little bit and chatted, then decided to head home because I was tired.  I got back home around 5:30pm and spent a few hours alone while I was waiting for my family to return.  I was ok with that because I feel rude being on my computer while they are around... I am trying to only be on my computer when I am alone so I can get a chance to talk as much as possible (and for those of you who know me... This is not something that I have trouble with...  I talk too much!  NO COMMENTS! :P  Maybe I should be on my computer more! Haha!).  They got home around 8:30pm and then I ate dinner (still no family dinners... it must be a cultural thing?), and then we watched the new episode of a show (the one about the end of the world) called El Barco.  It's actually really really good.

Between dinner and the starting of the show, I got a chance to talk to my dad a little bit.  I learned some very interesting things.  For example, little kids here struggle with pronouncing letters just like we do at home.  Here, it's the r's and z's.  My dad was telling me that the way they taught their kids to pronounce their z's, was the same way we learn how to pronounce our th's.  Then with r's... I thought this was hilarious!  When a little kid learns how to pronounce their r's (and roll their r's), they go around doing it all the time.  According to my dad, they sound like little cars walking around everywhere!  Hahaha... I thought it was really really funny :)

Anyhow, after El Barco ended, I went to sleep because I was really tired.  I'm still not sure if Spaniards actually hug, or if it's only the double kiss thing, so saying goodnight can be a little awkward sometimes.  But I'm adjusting!  I'm actually starting to feel hungry when I should be and sleeping a bit better.  I'm adjusting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment