Thursday, September 8, 2011

First Full Day In Toledo

The start of my first morning in Toledo did not quite go as planned...  Let me explain why.  The night before, I had been talking to my mom about what time I should catch the bus to make it to the Fundación by 9am to take the language placement test (the staff there had made a big deal about being there on time) and we had agreed that if I caught the bus at 8:15 or 8:30am, I'd have enough time to get there (allowing for time to get lost).  I had intended to get up at 7:30am, get dressed, put on makeup, eat breakfast and then go catch the bus.  WELL... let's just say it didn't quite happen that way.  I did set my alarm, but apparently I left it on vibrate so I didn't hear it when it went off.  So lo and behold, at 8:30AM I woke up... only to realize that I needed to be there in 30 MINUTES!  "Shit shit shit shit shit..." was all I could think to myself as I got dressed in a hurry.  I managed to catch the bus at 8:55 and got to the Fundación by 9:10am (and didn't get lost, thank you very much!).  I stopped by reception to make sure it was okay I was late.  They told me it wasn't a problem and to just go on up to classroom 3.  As it turns out, I wasn't the last one to arrive.  That made me feel so much better!

So I took the placement test and finished about 10am (it's a good thing I'm a quick writer).  The next thing I had that afternoon was an oral part of the test at 12pm, so it didn't make sense to go home.  Instead, I sat in the computer lab with some friends and worked on my blogs/fb/etc until 11:45am.  The interviews were running late, so I didn't go until 12:20 or something.  It wasn't really an interview either... It was more of a "here's your class schedule" thing.  It was hilarious... The woman I was talking with told me her name is Belén.  I told her that that is my mom and sister's names and she looked at me funny.  I thought that she was confused, so I told her again.  She looked at me and said (in Spanish, of course), "No no... I know.  It's just your accent!  Most people have a stereotypical American accent!  Yours is so good!"  I was very pleased to hear that! :D

After my "interview" (or whatever you want to call it...), I headed back home for awhile.  I didn't need to be back at the Fundación until 7pm, so I had a lot of time.  My family ended up going to my grandparents' house for a few hours where it was cooler and hung out and watched some TV.  Apparently they watch more TV then I do at home!  Which is good here, because it's helping me understand people who speak really fast! :)  At 6:30pm, everyone drove me to the bus stop near the Fundación, so I wouldn't have to take the bus.  That was really nice of them because it was a bit out of their way.

At the Fundación that night, we had a brief orientation (again... It feels like we've had 6 by now!) that lasted until 8:30pm.  Then we had a mini fiesta.  It was fun to watch everyone.  They provided lots of food (mostly tapas food, which was good) and music.  They brought in what would be considered a Mariachi band in Mexico.  They played a lot of songs and everyone danced.  I'll have pictures up from that soon.  Once I'm not feeling so lazy.  I'd have to get up and grab my camera to do it right now... And I don't feel like it.  Hahaha...

Well, I got back home around 10:30pm and took a quick shower (which felt SOOO good because it's so hot here!) and right as I finished getting dressed, my family came home.  My mom and I immediately sat down at the TV to watch the finale of a series she'd shown me the night before.  It was intense.  Lol.  Then we started to watch another one about the end of the world, but we were both getting tired about 1:30am, so we went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment